Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Here's my list for an hour and a half outing on May 29th between 1800 and 1930.

Cattle Egret-4
Moorhen - 3
Purple Swamphen - 1
Black-winged Stilt - 10
Spur-winged Plover - 1
Rock Dove - 10
Wood Pigeon - 25
Collared Dove - 15
Crested Lark -1
Barn Swallow - 20
White-cheeked Bulbul - 4
Hooded Crow - 2
Dead Sea Sparrow - 4
House Sparrow - 8

I spent most of my time at one of the small marshes. The marsh is in a depression. I think all the ponds on post were dug as drainage ponds. As I stood on the edge of the depression looking down on the marsh a group of stilts came flying around me. Their calls sounded like terns. One of the stilts appeared to be sitting on eggs in an open area of the marsh. Even though I was over 250 meters from the sitting bird the other stilts were really agitated and swooped low over my head and continued to call. I went down into the marsh and got a close look at a Dead Sea Sparrow. Once I was down in the marsh the Stilts calmed down. Maybe they didn't like me silhouetted against the sky.

I may soon get off post so hopefully I'll see a few new things.

No comments: